Friday, May 28, 2021

Mary Raczkiewicz

Not many of us knew that Grandpa Anthony had a sister who ended up living in Muskegon, Michigan. When I first learned about her, I thought today, May 29, in 1892 was her birthday. There are many reasons for this: some immigrants celebrated their name day instead of their birthday or maybe didn’t really know their own birthdate and there is more than one “Mary Kufta.” I had December 16, 1902 and May 29, 1892 as possibilities until fairly recently. Her birth record is not in the database I am using but Andrzej Dubiel (newfound 2x cousin) found it through the archive. Her birthday was December 16, 1899. I want to tell you a little about her since I recently received a picture of her.) ----- Marion/Mary Raczkiewicz (my great aunt) was born in Sabaudia, Poland. It is a little village outside the city of Tomaszow.I had a lot of trouble finding out when she was born. When Mary was eleven years old, her older brother Jan left Poland for the United States. Then when she was thirteen years old, (1912) Anthony (my grandpa) and his brother Jozef left for Canada with a final destination of Michigan in the U.S.. Eleven years later (1923) Marion left Southampton England on the ship Melita to Quebec, Canada.. She was 22 years old and single. She left behind her mother Katarzyna and siblings Stanislawa (28), Piotr (26), Paulina (22), Franciszek (19) and Boleslaw (17.) ----- She worked as a farm laborer and could read and write. She had a medium complexion, fair hair and grey eyes. Her brother Piotr was her contact in Sabaudia, Poland. Hher contact in Grand Rapids, Michigan was my grandfather -- her brother Anthony Raczkiewicz. (He lived at 208 Lexington NW for about two years at that time and they would be shortly moving to Milwaukee Avenue.). She traveled third class and her passage was paid for by her brother. She had $30 with her. She likely stayed with her brother Anthony and his wife, my grandma Pauline for a while, in Grand Rapids. ----- After Mary had been in the U.S for three years (April 15,1926), she and Frank Kufta were married by Father Casmimir Skory, the pastor of St. Adalbert Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Marion was doing factory work in Grand Rapids. Frank was a factory worker in Muskegon. He was born in Poland and immigrated in 1909. He was ten years older than Marion. Witnesses were Joseph Raczkiewicz (my great uncle) of Grand Rapids (Anthony’s brother), and Helen Kufta, (Frank’s sister) of Muskegon. ----- This wonderful picture was just sent to me by Mary’s daughter Theresa (Kufta) Parkanzky. She didn’t know who any of the other people are in the picture. (My grandfather and grandmother and great uncle Joe are in it and Frank’’s sister Helen Kufta was a witness so she must be in it. I think the oldest brother Jan and his wife are back in Poland by this time.) ----- By 1930, Mary and Frank lived on 6th St. in Muskegon, MI, and their house was worth $4,000. Frank was 37 years old, worked in an iron foundry and could speak English. Mary was 28 and could not speak English. Their children were Wanda, age 3 and Irene, age 2. By 1940, they were in the same house and it was worth only $3,000. Frank had a 6th grade education and was in the process of becoming a citizen. Mary had a 3rd grade education and was still an alien. Wanda was 13, Irene was 12 and Teresa was 4 years old. My mother (Shirley Longwell) has a memory of visiting them one time because Teresa was about her age. They may have visited more but she isn’t sure. She recently remembered that Frank and Mary attended her wedding. ------------------- Mary/Marion (Raczkiewicz) Kufta died May 30, 1984 at the age of 82 in Muskegon Heights, Michigan-- I thought! Her family has April 15, 1989 and they should know! It is another case of there being confusion on dates. Current day connections: When I started out, I did not know any of Mary’s relatives. My mother had a slight memory of Mary’s youngest daughter Theresa. Tomasz Raczkiewicz (my 2nd cousin who lives in Poznan, Poland) remembered his grandfather mentioned Marion and that she went to the US and married Frank. Tomasz never heard about Anthony (my Grandfather) or Joe and Jan who also went to the U.S, from his grandfather but Marion was closer to his grandfather Boleslaw’s age. One of Marion’s great grandchildren is a DNA match with me but I had not heard back from her. There is a gentleman that has Mary on his tree and I reached out but he either hasn’t done DNA or we aren’t a match. Then in February of 2021, Mary’s great grand daughter Dina Mastee and I connected. I made a connection with Michael Kozicki who is a grand son. After that, the connection was made to Mary’s youngest daughter Theresa Parkanzky (my great aunt) and her daughter Marie Halloran.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Story of Kazimierz Krawczyk & Rozalia Kobak

Besides the Raczkiewicz family (Pawel and Franciszka) originating from Łaszczówka, another branch of the family also originated from there...