Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Wigilia (Polish pronunciation: [viˈɡilʲa])

Wigilia happens on Christmas Eve in Poland. It comes from the Latin word “vigil” and is a feast after abstinence. The feast begins once the First Star is seen in the sky. The Christmas tree is decorated. The table is set with a place setting for a stranger which is a symbol of hospitality. The “Christmas wafer” opłatek is shared and is a symbol of daily bread. When it is shared, blessings for health, and happiness to each other are shared. Twelve separate dishes are served to represent the 12 Apostles. Soup was served first such as Borscht, mushroom, sour rye, which I have never had. Pickled herring would be next. I know my Dad would sometimes eat herring but I don’t think the rest of us were interested. The main course would be fish. Fish is served instead of red meat because abstinence from meat is required. Some of the other foods possibly served are familiar foods from my Grandparent’s house: gołąbki (cabbage rolls), kluski, pierogi (filled with cheese and potatoes), Challah bread and sauerkraut. Others I have never had such as herring, carp, cabbage-apple salad, and dried fruit compote, I remember bread or cakes with poppy seeds but I am not sure if they were made or bought from American Bakery. Some examples are babka and makowiec. While we did not celebrate this way as I was growing up, my Mom (Shirley Longwell) remembers going as a young girl with her parents to some one’s house on Lexington St. and that there were many dishes served.) Did your family celebrate in this way?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Story of Kazimierz Krawczyk & Rozalia Kobak

Besides the Raczkiewicz family (Pawel and Franciszka) originating from Łaszczówka, another branch of the family also originated from there...